Tuesday, December 25, 2007

the comforter has come...

We went to two Christmas Eve services last night. This is the first Christmas in eight years that I haven't been working at a church and the first Christmas since we got married that we both haven't been working at a church. So, it was fairly exciting to get to choose where to worship. We went with my mom and sister to the church where I grew up for one service and then went to the church where we are members for eleven o'clock service with one of our brothers (my in-law, technically). Both were very good worship services full of good music. Both were full of comforting and familiar things and full of people that I love.

The first service, at the church where I grew up, was comforting to me in many ways. Like I said, it was the first time in a long time...and the first time since my dad died...that I'd been there for Christmas Eve. Lots of familiar faces and a place that once felt as much like home as my own house. I could feel in my core the resonance of my formation in that place. These are the people, the music and choir, the costumes (or drama ministry), the place and space...the theology...that shaped who I am.

It turned out I had a lot of questions and some skepticism about all of the details of how things are done at that church and at other churches like that. It is not the kind of church I seek out for my own worship and community life and spiritual formation. But, all of that said, it was good, good, good to be there last night. And it was very good to be there with my sister who, for very different reasons, understands what I'm feeling.

Then, we went to the church where we are currently members, where jeans are a welcome and accepted part of the life of the community, where organ, piano, and guitar were all parts of the service, where everyone greets with a hug, and where the altar was laid for a feast. It was casual and a very chill time together. There was communion and prayer at the altar. There was lots of hugging afterwards and laughter. It was life-giving.

The wise preacher, an amazing young woman, preached about change. How, at this season when we want traditions and familiarity and things to be like every Christmas that we have loved and held dear for years, what we are actually celebrating is the most profound change. Not a change that happens or happened in a moment, but the transformative change that God brings when entering life with us always.

It was a good message for this girl to hear this Christmas. It turns out a lot has changed since the days I sang in the choir with my mom and sister on Christmas Eve. Our family has changed, our homes have changed, our whole lives have changed...my theology and understanding and ways of seeking God in life have changed. And it is all good.

What was...was very, very good. What is...is very, very good. What will be...well, I trust that this same God who has led us this far will continue to burst into our world with wonderful things.

May the light...God with us...shine in your life, too.

Peace and Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to comment, but I emailed you instead.

: )

KB(T) said...

Awww, man, I was there, but I didn't see you!